WESLACO WATER TOWER
“THE PROGRESSIVE CITY”
This ground level water storage reservoir was constructed in 1928, and used until the adjacent overhead tank was completed in 1941 as a project of the Works Progress Administration. The site now serves as as the Tower Theatre and as a reminder of Weslaco's early development as a progressive city. Open in Google Maps.
“LA VILLA DE CORTEZ”
A National and Texas registered historic landmark located in historic downtown, the Villa de Cortez opened in 1928 as a four-story hotel of Spanish design with seventy-five guest rooms and beautiful South Texas courtyard. In 1998, it was renovated completely as an elegant private event venue, retaining its distinguished architecture and continuing the tradition as a premier social establishment. Open in Google Maps.
WESLACO CITY HALL
“W. E. STEWART LAND COMPANY”
Weslaco was founded in 1919, ten years after most Valley cities, taking its name from the initials of the W. E. Stewart Land Co., which held the original title to the site. Prominent local architect R. Newell Waters designed the historic City Hall with Spanish colonial detailing: intricate cast stone sculptures, cupola, and tiles with colorful geometric patterns. The building was erected in 1928 and recorded as a Texas Historic Landmark in 1978. Open in Google Maps.
This Spanish colonial revival style residence, built-in 1927, was designed for the Skaggs family by prolific Weslaco architect R. Newell Waters. The house remained in the Skaggs family until 1992 and was recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1993. Now part of the Frontera Audubon complex, the house, native vegetation, and adjoining orchard provide a glimpse of Weslaco's emerging prosperity in the late 1920s. Open in Google Maps.