The Weslaco Police Department provides patrol services 24 hours a day, seven days a week and will prioritize responses to requests for emergency services using available resources to enhance the safety of the public and department members.
The Patrol Division is commanded by an assigned Captain, whose primary responsibility is to provide general management, direction and control for the Patrol Division. The Patrol Division consists of the largest sworn personnel at is divided into three (3) shifts. Each shift is assigned a Lieutenant, two (2) Sergeants, and ten (10) sworn peace officers.
Patrol will generally be conducted by uniformed officers in clearly marked law enforcement vehicles in assigned jurisdictional areas of Weslaco. The function of patrol is to respond to calls for assistance and reports of criminal activity, act as a deterrent to crime, enforce state and local laws, identify community needs, provide support and assistance to the community and respond to emergencies.
- Responding to emergency calls for service.
- Apprehending criminal offenders.
- Providing mutual aid and assistance to other agencies for emergency and law enforcement-related activities.
- Impede criminal acts, traffic violations and collisions, maintaining public order and discovering hazardous situations or conditions.
- Responding to reports of both criminal and non-criminal acts.
- Responding to routine calls for service, such as public assistance or public safety.
- Directing and controlling traffic.