Weslaco launching new garbage collection service

By Cristina M. Garcia, Public Information Officer

The city of Weslaco plans to transition from contracting a private company to pick up garbage to in-house solid waste management handled by the city’s public works department. The in-house garbage collection overseen by the city begins on January 1, 2022. For your convenience, the route schedule has been included on the bottom of this webpage. Additionally, we have created a list of frequently asked questions and answers.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Will there be an increase in taxes or fees due to this change?
No, the new garbage collection service will not affect the city’s property tax rate. Additionally, the garbage collection fee will remain at $15.05 a bin beginning January 1, 2022.

Will my garbage still be collected twice a week?
Yes, the public works' solid waste division will pick up your bin twice a week.

Will the days my garbage is collected change?
Possibly. To continue the bi-weekly garbage collection service for all residential customers, the city will have a north route and a south route. For all residents living north of Business 83, garbage will be collected on Mondays and Thursdays. For residents living south of Business 83, garbage bins will be collected on Tuesdays and Fridays. For reference, a color-coded garbage collection map has been included at the bottom of this webpage.

Will the time my garbage is collected change?
Likely so. Residents are asked to leave garbage bins along their curbside the night prior to the designated trash pick-up day, but no later than 6 a.m. on the day of. Garbage collection drivers will begin their routes as early as 6:30 a.m. As our newly hired drivers work to perfect the pace of their garbage collection duties, the city asks residents to be patient with employees who may pick up bins past the typical allotted time frame, at least for the first few months of the transition. Public works administration plans to achieve quicker pick-up response rates as drivers become accustomed to their new roles within the solid waste division.

Where should I place my trash bin on designated days?
Please place your trash bin in front of your home, along the curb, at least three feet away from mailboxes and vehicles.

When will I be delivered a new city of Weslaco trash bin?
The city began distributing trash bins in September 2021. If you have not received a new trash bin with a city of Weslaco logo, please contact the city’s public works department by phone at (956) 973-3146.

What do I do if my city trash bin is unusable due to damage?
Due to the climate and its intended use, it is typical for trash bins to have visual wear and tear such as scratches or waste material. Residents may clean their trash bins. However, if your trash bin breaks and is unusable, please contact public works by phone at (956) 973-3146 to request a replacement.

Can I label my bin with my address?
Yes, you are welcome to label your bin with your address.

What items can and can’t be placed in my trash bin?
There are certain items that pose a hazard if placed in a trash bin. Please never place oil and gas, pesticides, tires, batteries, or hot objects in your trash bin. If your bin is damaged due to misuse, the resident will have to pay $15.05 to replace the bin. Garbage bins are primarily for common household waste. The city offers a separate service for brush collection.

Will trash bags and other items placed on the side or on top of my trash bin be picked up?
Trash bin lids must be fully closed for them to be picked up through our garbage collection program. Bags, brush, and construction materials placed on the side or on top of trash bins will not be picked up.

What should I do if my household consistently produces more waste than what fits in a trash bin?
You may need an additional bin for your household. If you would like to order an additional trash bin, please contact the city’s utility billing department at (956) 968-3181.

What do I do if I currently have a city trash bin and a Republic Services trash bin?
Please only use the city’s trash bin. If you have a Republic Services trash bin, please empty it and contact the public works department by phone at (956) 973-3146 to schedule your old bin to be removed. City crews will not pick up garbage placed in a Republic Services trash bin.

How do I know if I should order another trash bin?
If you find your household waste consistently does not fit in a single bin for more than a month, it is recommended that you order an additional trash bin. To request another bin, please contact the city’s utility billing department at (956) 968-3181.

Will city staff pick up my trash bin, if my designated day falls on a holiday?
The city’s public works department plays a vital role in the health and wellness of our community. As such, public works employees work on holidays to ensure solid waste management is picked up in a timely fashion.

What if I need to request a commercial bin for my place of business?
Most commercial bins have been distributed to businesses that pay for commercial service. If you need a commercial bin for your place of business, please contact the city’s utility billing department at (956) 968-3181.

How are the new commercial bins different than the old commercial bins?
The new commercial bins are equipped with a locking mechanism. Please always close your commercial bin and keep it locked at all times to prevent illegal dumping and pest infestations.

Will the routes for commercial garbage collection change?
The commercial routes will remain the same. A commercial customer has the option of selecting the number of days their garbage is collected by the city’s sanitation division. To change the number of days or schedule, please contact the city’s utility billing department at (956) 968-3181 to update your account. 

What if I need a different-sized commercial bin?
Commercial bins come in different sizes and price points. To change the size of your trash bin or to request an additional commercial bin or additional pick-ups, please contact the city’s utility billing department at (956) 968-3181 to update your account.

What should I do if I have further questions about the city’s garbage collection service?
If you have any further questions about the city’s new solid waste management program, please contact the public works department at (956) 973-3146.